Here’s what I learned:
1. You need to build up to it. I first did 8 hours, then hardstop to eat, then started again and was able to do 48 hours. My trick was to start the fast at night, after your dinner, versus starting it in the morning/afternoon where your body is used to eating a bunch of meals during the day.
2. The hunger may or may not be there, but it takes a ton of willpower to just not eat. I had to delete Yelp, Facebook, or anything that would tempt me to eat. I even chose TV shows that didn’t highlight food (I re-watched Limitless). Also, I think a lot of people eat just because they’re bored. I should’ve deleted Postmates.
3. I lost 3 lbs in 48 hours. Every time I thought about eating, I would step on my scale (Fitbit Aria 2 that syncs to your iPhone) and it was a motivator to keep going because they weight kept going down. However, it’s mostly water weight. The benefit of prolonged fasting is a lot more than just weight loss, but hey, who’s complaining?
4. I had a ton of energy, was awake, even had trouble sleeping. This was a surprise because I thought I was going to be all tired, but nope, I was fully functional.. too functional. I was having trouble sleeping for some reason, and I even took some Melatonin, but it didn’t work, which ended up frustrating me.
5. Right at 48 hours, Postmates delivery came (once again, Delete Postmates/Door Dash), I ate. I thought I was craving all kind of things, but as I ate, I regretted eating right away. Mostly because I felt like I should’ve kept going, that health benefits doesn’t kick in until 72 hours, etc. That meal that I broke my fast with, I ended up not even enjoying that much..
Will I attempt it again? I want to.